Czech Republic / Landmark
Náměstí Republiky (Republic Square) was called Hlavní náměstí (Main Square) during the war. On 6 May 1945, it was the last place of resistance by German soldiers in the Cathedral tower. After the liberation, the citizens of Pilsen gathered to welcome the Americans in the Main Square.
As the most important public space of the city, it became the location of various ceremonial military parades. On 20 November 1945 a final ceremonial parade was held to bid farewell to departing American forces with the participation of Jan Masaryk, the post-war Czechoslovakian Minister of Foreign Affairs.