Czech Republic / Monument
Jindřich Křečan commemorative plaque and Roosevelt Bridge (Rooseveltův most) honour two individuals of World War II: Jindřich Křečan, a local member of the resistance, and Franklin D. Roosevelt, the American wartime President.
The bridge, known as Saský most (Saxon Bridge), was built in 1848-1852 based plans of Lexa Stelzer and replaced an earlier Saxon Bridge built in the 16th century. In 1860, sculptures from different parts of the city were placed on the bridge. After the war in 1945, the bridge and the neigbouring street were renamed in honour of American wartime President, Franklin D. Roosevelt. Surprisingly during the communist period, the street nor the bridge were not renamed despite tensions with the United States during the Cold War.
It was on this bridge, that local Pilsen resistance fighter, Jindřich Křečan, lost his life in the final days of the war. Born on 20 June 1916, Pacov (Pelhrimov), Jindřich was part of the Kolo na Strěle resistance group. At the end of the war, he joined the anti-fascist uprising. On May 5, 1945, he tried to stop a car full of German soldiers on the bridge but was shot in the neck and succumbed to his injuries on the bridge. A commemorative plaque was placed here marking Jindřich Křečan final act of resistance in the war.